What is Java?
Java is a platform-independent, object-oriented programming (OOP) language. Applications developed with Java can run across multiple platforms. James Gosling developed it, in 1995, at Sun Microsystems (now acquired by Oracle).
Features of Java
- It follows OOP concepts like inheritance, abstraction, and encapsulation.
- It works on Write Once, Run Anywhere (WORA) theory.
- It uses a compiler to execute codes.
- It facilitates distributed computing.
- It is a robust, multithreaded language with automatic memory management.
- Its applications can run on any platform that has Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
Applications of Java
Java has proved its efficiency on multiple platforms. It has been the backbone of many applications throughout the digital world. Here are some important Java applications–
- It has been the standard programming language for Android app development.
- It is the preferred choice for cross-platform software for desktops.
- It is used to handle high-volume data processing enterprise systems.
- It supports many scientific computing applications, like MATLAB.
- It is a valuable language for Big Data Analytics.
- It is found in embedded systems of vehicles, home appliances, and IoT devices.
- It is used to develop and maintain web servers.
Java Development Tools
A plethora of development tools is available to write, test, and run Java codes. And here are the popular ones –
- Apache Maven
- IntelliJ Idea
- Android Studio
- It is lightweight.
- It supports OOP concepts like polymorphism.
- It is a cross-platform language.
- It is mainly a client-side programming language.
- It controls website content, depending on the user’s actions and inputs.
- It uses an interpreter to check scripts.
- It complements and integrates with Java.
- It is the preferred language to create interactive web pages.
- It is used to develop browser-based games and applications.
- It helps in mobile app development.
- It supports the development and control of server applications.
- It has been used in smartwatch apps and robots.
- Sublime Text
- Apache Cordova
1 Both languages support Object-Oriented Programming
2 Both applications run in an Internet browser
3 Both help in developing server applications
4 Both have a wide range of libraries and frameworks
After going through both languages, are you thinking which one should be better for you? Before making the final judgment, you must know the advantages of using both languages.
Advantages of Using Java
Java has been the foundation of various web-based, mobile, and enterprise applications. And following are some advantages which have made it the most preferred programming language in the community –
- Java supports inheritance, as it is an object-oriented programming language. It facilitates the creation of reusable code and development of modular programs.
- Java is platform-independent, and programs written in one platform can be ported from one system to another.
- Java is multithreaded. It can perform numerous tasks together within a program.
- Java is a secure, highly scalable, and robust programming language. It verifies and detects errors before compiling, thus ensuring smooth running. Additional features like exception handling and garbage collection make it more robust.
- Java is network-centric, which makes it easy to design and develop distributed computing systems.
- Java offers various sets of commands – Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) – to speed up the process of application development.
- Java has several open-source tools. Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) like NetBeans and Eclipse, with their coding and debugging features, make app development simpler.
- Java first appeared in 1995. It is a mature language and, thus, more stable.
How to Choose the Best Language for Your Project Development?
Well, it would depend on what you want to develop.
Java is preferred for developing Android applications, enterprise software, and server-side technologies. The availability of APIs and third-party libraries gives it an upper hand.
Ravindra Waghmare is the Co-founder and COO at Mobisoft Infotech. He is an expert in solutioning, software consultancy, process definition and improvements, business analysis, and project execution. He has 11+ years of experience in software development,consulting, delivery, company operations, talent acquisition, processes and sales.