Near field communication (NFC) is one of the latest technologies in mobile phones. This is nothing but a chip with short-range high-frequency wireless communication technology that enables the quick exchange of data between devices in the vicinity of about 10 cm distance. So you can virtually transfer data between two successive NFC enabled devices. NFC can be used for various purposes. Since it is capable of receiving and transmitting data at the same time, it can function as a smart contact-less card and it will definitely bring digital wallet concept in existence in near future.
At the Web 2.0 conference, Google’s Former CEO Eric Schmidt said Nexus S is the first Android phone coming with Android OS 2.3(Gingerbread) with the capability of NFC technology. Apple is said to be working on the technology as well to incorporate it to the iPhone 5.
How NFC can be useful for mobile users?
1. NFC can be used for payment at kiosks, ticketing, Internet or person-to-person.
2. Tickets can be purchased, stored, and redeemed.
3. The prepaid card can be stored in smartphones
4. Coupons can be transferred to friends
5. The shopping list can be collected from bags
6. Electronic devices can be activated after purchase and warranties sent in. Or car keys, house/office keys, hotel room keys can get replaced by NFC enabled smartphones.
7. Secure access to buildings and PCs
8. Inventory control with tags and readers
9. Patient monitoring by keeping medical records on chip
10. Mobile users can touch the NFC enabled devices to exchange the information and contact details.
A person can lose a credit card, wallet or personal documents but there are fewer chances to miss Mobiles and if it happens so, just inform mobile service provider and you can easily stop misuse of your identity, credit card, mobile & all personal information so-called “Digital wallets” in one shot. Users don’t have to call 5 different customer service executive to stop credit card services.
By looking at above facts it looks NFC has promising potential in Mobile Future. Consider you check in at a shopping mall and you get to see the banners or campaign or offers with your liking based on your behaviors of shopping. So it will be just a matter of booming your mobile devices anywhere(banners, photos, products etc) to get the information or perform transactions. Boom!!!